Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jank Blog: The first one. Featuring: Aces and (Beta) Strikes!

How do you do, my dudes.

So I figured its close enough to February that I can put out the first edition of the new blog I promised...

~~~Jank Shop~~~

Well... there's not really much to say that I haven't already said in the Introduction, but here's how I think this series will go (or be formatted):

So every month I have a list (or two if I feel like changing up Epic). I'll blog about the list after a whole month of playing it, and whenever I can for epic. I'll post random little screenshots I've taken of the list on vassal, and just talk about the pilots and its strengths/weaknesses, and my overall opinion of it.

So let's dive right in.

So this months list was something I call 'Dual Threat'. If you can't click on the link for whatever reason, its down below;

(Excuse the formatting I'm too lazy to change...)

[b]"Duchess" (23)[/b]
[i]Veteran Instincts (1)[/i]
[i]Lightweight Frame (2)[/i]
[i]Adaptive Ailerons (0)[/i]

[b]Turr Phennir (25)[/b]
[i]Veteran Instincts (1)[/i]
[i]Autothrusters (2)[/i]
[i]Stealth Device (3)[/i]
[i]Royal Guard TIE (0)[/i]

[b]Sienar Test Pilot (16)[/b]
[i]Cruise Missiles (3)[/i]
[i]Guidance Chips (0)[/i]
[i]TIE/v1 (1)[/i]

[b]Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)[/b]
[i]Extra Munitions (2)[/i]
[i]XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)[/i]
[i]Harpoon Missiles (4)[/i]
[i]Long-Range Scanners (0)[/i]

[b][i]Total: 100[/i][/b]

This is the first time I have actively used a Striker. I've used Pure Sabacc here and there with subpar builds for fun, but this is the first time I actually tried to accomplish something with one, and it was an interesting experience.

If there is one thing I learned, its that they live or die by their maneuverability, and are extremely unforgiving to newer players. Especially VI Duchess, who almost always died first or last.


Turr, on the other hand, is an old favorite and I know how to handle him. In my opinion, he is the superior arc dodger in this game, but with the PS 10 to 11 wars going on lately he just doesn't really cut it anymore at PS 9. He can definitely pack a punch still an be a slippery fucker to kill, but with all the bombs and turrets going around lately at a higher PS than him, even with AT and SD, initiative or not, he just doesn't sparkle as much as he used too.

And then comes the alpha, or what I like to call beta strike because of the low-PS, aspect of the list. 2 Ships I'd never tried before, the base generic for the TIE Bomber carrying the accursed harpoons, and the STP carrying Cruise Missiles. They carried their weight but since they aren't gunboats fuck them right?

The list as a whole performed about as well as I thought it would. With a record of 4-8-0, going against several top tier lists, like Nymranda, Fenn'Sync and Plot Armor, it did better than I personally thought it would.

The list did surprisingly well against 2 ship lists, probably due to just overwhelming numbers. RAC-Vader, Nymranda, and this weird Double-Defender list I went against (Maarek and Rexler loaded to the max) were all 100-0 victories, maybe losing a single ship on my end occasionally. Everything else it did thoroughly meh against. Some Poe lists it destroyed, and several others it died hard against, particularly Plot Armor. Also, aces that could just straight up out-efficiency my own also did well against it, so Palp Aces, Triple Defenders and several scum aces lists definitely wiped the floor with me from time to time. Including the one I decided to chronicle below:



Yesterday's Tragic X-wing Butt-raping


After rounds and round of kiting and fancy setup maneuvering, the first round of combat begins, and this list I'm going against is the perfect counter to my own. Bombs and High-PS ordnance... this isn't going to go well.
Result

So yeah, next round, it didn't go well. Bomber is dead, Turr got one shotted through a rock at Range 3, and I just got the shit bombed out of me. In other news, I did 2 damage to Nym, so I've got that going for me.

Result
Result

Got Bombed again, Jostero literally stabbed the STP in the back, and that just leaves 3 Hull Duchess to tackle half health Nym, dead Jostero and Full-Health Torani, so this isn't looking too well... I managed to kill Jostero pretty easily, but obviously going against 2 High PS heavy hitters without initiative, I'm pretty much screwed. But hey, can't lose them all.



I think that will conclude this blog! I'm looking forward to doing these more often, and I'm open to ideas, what I should add to these, what I should do differently or remove, and as always add me on Snapchat, same username as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment